What is a Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a specialist medical doctor with the qualification to diagnose, treat and work with individuals to address mental illness and emotional problems. They are trained as a medical doctor and can prescribe medication.
Dr Justine Hoey-Thompson is an adult general Psychiatrist, a member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand Colleges of Psychiatry and holds a Masters in Bioethics. Justine graduated from the University of Queensland and gained her Masters in Bioethics at the University of Sydney. She spent 16 years working in Psychiatry at Lismore Base Hospital before moving to Byron Central Hospital in 2017. Her breadth of experience and expertise has been applied in both hospital and multi-disciplinary team based private rehabilitation fields.
Dr Justine works exclusively with adults (18 years and over) dealing with mood disorders, psychotic disorders, anxiety disorders and has a particular interest in complex PTSD. She is attracted to the Recovery Model and the focus on the input from a multi- disciplinary team and promotes working collaboratively to treat the whole patient.
Reasons for seeing a Psychiatrist:
- Problems adjusting after major life changes or stress
- Depressed or low mood that doesn’t go away
- Suicidal thinking
- Thoughts of hurting other people or hurting yourself on purpose
- Obsessional thinking
- Feeling like people are after you or want to harm you
- Hallucinations (hearing/seeing things that aren’t there)
- Problem gambling, gaming or other addictive behaviours
- Problems around body image, eating or dieting
- Poor concentration and attention, hyperactivity and memory problems
- Violence, agitation or emotional outbursts
Patients must have a GP referral to book an appointment with Dr Justine. Appointments are 60-minute consultations at $410 per session. Medicare and Private health rebates apply. Please call our Client Support team on 02 6685 6445 for bookings and further information.
Byron Bay Psychiatrist - Consultation Fees
Please call6685 6445 for appointments