NURTURING HARMONY: EXPLORING NATURAL THERAPIES FOR CHILDREN'S BEHAVIOUR
with Kristie Folkes
Children’s behavior can be influenced by a multitude of factors, including genetic predispositions, environmental influences, social interactions, diet, and lifestyle. Emotional challenges, anxiety, attention disorders, and developmental issues can manifest through behavioral difficulties such as temper tantrums, aggression, difficulty focusing, and restlessness. Our goal is to help Neurodiverse children to be able to thrive in a society built for Neurotypical individuals.
What are some common issues that affect children
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD): Persistent patterns of disobedient, hostile, and defiant behaviour, Arguing with adults, refusing to comply with rules, deliberately annoying others
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalised Anxiety Disorder (excessive worrying), Separation Anxiety Disorder (fear of separation from parents or caregivers), Social Anxiety Disorder (fear of social situations), Specific Phobias (e.g., fear of animals, heights)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Challenges with social interactions and communication, Repetitive behaviours or restricted interests, Difficulty adapting to changes in routine
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Obsessions (intrusive, unwanted thoughts), Compulsions (repetitive behaviours performed to reduce anxiety related to obsessions)
- Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD): Over or under activity to sensory stimuli (e.g., touch, sound, taste), Difficulty regulating responses to sensory input
- Depression: Persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness, Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities, Changes in appetite or sleep patterns, Low energy and fatigue
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): Difficulty focusing or sustaining attention, Impulsivity, Hyperactivity, Trouble organising tasks and activities
Things we can do to assess behaviour:
Functional testing can provide valuable insights into various physiological, biochemical, and environmental factors that can influence behaviour.
Types of testing we offer:
- Genetic testing – can reveal potential genetic predispositions that may influence behaviour, mood, and mental health. Understanding a child’s genetic makeup can guide personalised interventions and lifestyle modifications.
- Stool testing – The gut-brain connection is well-established, and a healthy gut is crucial for optimal brain function and behaviour.
- Hair Mineral Tissue Analysis – Exposure to toxins can affect cognitive function and behaviour. Using hair we can also assess mineral levels without blood tests.
- Occasional Pathology – blood tests to check Iron, other minerals, thyroid function, inflammatory markers among others
Nutrient deficiencies can impact brain function, mood, and behaviour. Addressing these deficiencies through dietary changes or supplementation can support optimal brain health and behavior.
Food Sensitivities and Allergies:
Certain food sensitivities can cause behavioral issues, and eliminating these trigger foods from the diet may lead to improved behaviour and mood.
Treatments we offer:
Functional Testing assessments: we can do a deep dive into any previous testing you have had done along with symptom picture and interview to develop a treatment plan that can help to stabilise behaviour.
Dietary Intervention: deep dive into foods and allergies including discussions around how food colourings, additives and blood sugar levels can affect behaviour. We look at foods kids love to eat and how we incorporate therapeutic foods into the diet.
Nutrient Therapy: using supplements we work to rebalance body systems including neurotransmitters, gut health and mineral balance, reducing inflammation in the Brin and the gut.
Referrals: professional support where needed including doctors, speech pathologists, allergists, psychologists, paediatricians, school counsellors
Body Work: structural body work including osteopathy and acupuncture
Lifestyle Recommendations: consistent routines, regular activities, prioritising adequate sleep, screen time, creative outlets, stress management techniques, social connections, clear expectations and boundaries.
Unlock Your Child’s Full Potential: Transform Behaviour Issues Into Positive Growth with Our Proven Treatment Program!
We understand that every child is unique, and our personalised approach will help your child thrive. Our experienced team of mental health professionals specialises in treating children with behavioural issues, and we’ve helped countless families transform their child’s negative behaviours into positive growth.
Whether it’s ADHD, anxiety, or other behavioural challenges, we’ll work with you and your child every step of the way to achieve lasting results.
Kristie Folkes is an integrative Naturopath with over 20 years of experience working with children, teens and adults achieve optimal health and wellbeing. Kristie specialises in neurological presentations such as ADHD, autism, OCD, tics, PANS and PANDAS and behavioural issues. With her expertise, empathy, and genuine love for children, Kristie is dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of young ones. She is committed to helping children and their families achieve optimal health, happiness, and overall well-being through the principles of naturopathic medicine.
To learn more about Kristie and her offerings, click here
Or book online here